Saturday, May 21, 2011

21 May: Judgment Day & my birthday

Blimin typical.  Some scary old bird in a white uniform at the hospital was right. 

Straight after I was born, many moons ago, the Matron in the Maternity Ward read the wrinkles on my forehead (incidentally - they are returning at an alarming rate) and said that I'd have an incredible and amazing life.  Not an ordinary life.  Not a plain life.  Not a run-of-the-mill average life.  Nup.  An incredible and amazing life.  Damn.  Just my luck :-/


My 5th birthday & Electric Train Set (best present ever)

And today being Judgment Day is just the icing on the birthday cake.  Of all dates for Judgment Day to occur, it has to be 21 May.

So who is responsible for this date?  A Californian (of course) Doomsday prophet by the name of Harold Camping.  He has closely studied the Book of Ezekiel and has calculated that it will begin at 6pm on 21 May, no matter where you are in the world.  All the goody two shoes will rise up towards heaven, and the rest of us will be left with our feet firmly planted on the ground.  Good one gravity, ruin all my fun.

An earthquake will roll from city to city taking all the non-goody two shoes in its path and then a fire will start.  I'm pleased I'm in New Zealand, because I won't know what's coming, it'll just happen and ta da...another freaky prophecy will be fulfilled.

Did you know that you've got more chance of dying on your birthday than any other day of the year?  This is because of several reasons.  Firstly, people tend to take more risks on their birthday - they try extreme sports for the first time, they drink or party too much, or in the case of older people, they hang on until their special date then just quietly pass away.

I guess I need to be outside at 6pm on the off-chance that they select me amongst the other goody two shoes to rise up.  I don't want to knock myself out on the plasterboard ceiling, wooden roof struts or tiles when I ascend.  The selection criteria will probably be quite loose to start with (another benefit of living in New Zealand). I imagine they will toughen it up as heaven starts to get a bit noisy and crowded.  Poor old Mr Camping may not even fit the tough goody two shoes criteria by the time Armageddon gets to California.  I wonder if he's considered that?

Anyway, I know that no matter where I end up, I'm sure to know plenty of people ;-)  If it is the end of the world, we might as well go out partying.  Therefore, the party starts at my place at 5.30pm, moving onto the street at 5.59pm.

Finally, I would like to say happy birthday to my fellow 21st of May birthday peeps -  Mr T., Lisa Edelstein (Cuddy from House) and Ma'a Nonu (legendary rugby player and All Black).

See you all on the flipside.

2 comments:

  1. Now you simply cannot have a party tonight! I'm already supposed to be seven of the blasted things! How am I gonna fit all that in before I get taken up to paradise where 72 virgins await me with long flowing locks of brown hair cascading around their shoulder and soft white silk sheets to lie on...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be moving into town later. PM me your number on Facey, and I'll text you x

    ReplyDelete