Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Don't find excuses, find solutions

One of the conversations that really resonated with me in 2011 was with my Personal Trainer.  At the time, I was working full time, writing part-time, studying part-time, tap dancing and seeing my PT for a single hour long session per week.

Quite frankly, he was a bit ticked off at my results, and although my cardio fitness was improving, he was giving me a lecture about squeezing in more individual gym sessions between our workouts. 

I was mouthing off as usual (we have the best PT / client relationship ever) saying "I'm busy with work, writing, study, tap, blah blah blah and I can't get to the gym", while he was saying that he "didn't give a toss, that I needed to find the time to haul my ass to the gym".  The language was slightly more colourful, but you get the gist.

His final parting words were "don't find excuses, find solutions".

Going to the gym at 5.30am (or in fact any time before work) was NOT an option for me because my sleep patterns were, and still are, up the doodaa. I either sleep like a baby (thanks sleeping pills) or hardly sleep at all (thanks to kicking the sleeping pill addiction).

Lunchtimes were ok-ish, but during that period in my life my real job was hectic, and often it was easier to stay at the office, and work through my lunch break rather than try to get to the gym and find a car-park (close to impossible). 

After work was also ok-ish, but often I had meetings or tap which would exhaust me.

What. To. Do. ?

Luckily for me, I had another night of insomnia.  Eventually, I could no longer accept any of my excuses. They were feeble. They were weak. And I felt like a loser with every scenario that I was able to dream up. 

Then the sun came up. I had a lightbulb moment.

Hallelujah!

What if I split the hour long sesh with the PT into 2 half hour sessions? That would ensure two kick ass workouts per week, then I'd only need to find space to get to the gym 3 times. That just seemed so much more manageable than 4 overwhelming times. Uh, hello...one extra session with the PT was really going to make that much of a difference? Yes, it was. 

To cut a long story short, that's what we did.  Two shorter PT sessions per week, then three individual cardio sessions.  I'd found a solution to what had initially seemed impossible and easier to duck out of with one of a multitude of excuses. 

Since then, I've applied to "don't find excuses, find solutions" mantra to many aspects of my life (diet, finances, housework!). And although excuses are invariably easier, solutions are invariably more satisfying.  Try it. No excuses.



No comments:

Post a Comment