Saturday, January 7, 2012

Kits & Cats

Yesterday on Facebook, I saw a plea from the Waikato SPCA for kitten food.  The Waikato branch has always held a special place in my heart because that's where I met the love of my life, Edelweis.


Ever since that meeting, I've donated to the SPCA and sung their praises to all and sundry, especially those looking for a new pet.

I've kept Edelweis up-to-date on his former abode, and when the kitten food plea was posted, we discussed it at length, and he asked if I could spend some of his pocket money* on kitten food.  Bless.

My first stop today in the pouring rain was the local supermarket, where I picked up several boxes of kitten food.

The supermarket has a food donation bin specifically for the SPCA, but it was full to overflowing and this time I felt like delivering Edel's donation personally.

The next stop was the Waikato SPCA located at 219 Ellis Street, Frankton, Hamilton.

Although it was absolutely hosing down, the car-park was full. The reception area was jam-packed with new adoptive and foster families.  Some fluffy darlings were in cages in reception to entertain and entice the visitors.  Other fluffy darlings were in cages ready to be taken to their new homes by their new parents.  The staff were flat-tack on the phone and dealing with the enquiries at the counter.

Out of the blue, a favourite childhood rhyme** sprang to mind:

As I was going to St Ives
I met a man with seven wives
Each wife had seven sacks
Each sack had seven cats
Each cat had seven kits
Kits, cats, sacks and wives
How many were going to St Ives?

What I immediately wanted to know is why the hell they were going to St Ives via the Waikato SPCA?

A volunteer took Edel's kitten food donation and added it to a growing pile of cans and packets (which was heart-warming to see), and then I went out to the cattery to visit some of the current fluffy darling inmates.

Oh. My. God.

The place was heaving with cats, they were literally crawling up the walls. I've never seen so many there in all my life.  And kittens...crikey...so many kittens of every colour and degree of fluffiness imaginable.


Every little fluffy darling looked happy and healthy. They were doing kitten stuff, and argh...kitten stuff is so damn cute! Bouncing, pouncing, teasing eachother, sleeping and generally being 100% gorgeous.

And along with the bouncing pouncing fluffy darling kittens, there were some adult cats who were as equally beautiful.


I have been a self-diagnosed "Crazy Cat Lady" since I was 8 years old.  Even my twitter profile states my love of cats.  But today, I felt overwhelmed.  Completely overwhelmed.  Would I really cope with a house full of cats in my old age?  I have to admit...no.

Today, I realised I was a one-cat crazy cat lady, not a multiple cat crazy cat lady.

But that's ok. I've decided that if I can't be a crazy cat lady in the true sense of the moniker with multiple cats, then I CAN BE a crazy cat Aunty.  I'll continue to Aunty the cats at the Waikato SPCA by taking them food and toys, and visiting them on occasion. 

And, if you're reading this, and you think there is a place in your heart and a space in your life for a fluffy darling (either a kitten or cat), please go to the SPCA and adopt or foster one.

And maybe if you can't adopt or foster, you too could be come a crazy cat Aunty. Just maybe?



*Edel's pocket money is also known as my savings account

** Click on the link http://bit.ly/hFARa for an interesting discussion on how many were actually going to St Ives

POSTSCRIPT:
Hey everyone, meet "Dust" who was adopted by a friend of mine, the day after this blog was first published.


I had several other friends take food and donations into the Waikato SPCA on that particular day. It just goes to show the power of the blog. I'm absolutely thrilled :-)

7 comments:

  1. ok Writey, first of all. I LOVE CATS. secondly, there are a few words that my Canadian brain is absolutely loving and I want to steal them and spread them around Canada...
    First is "hosing" - it regularly pours in vancouver, but hoses? I LOVE IT.
    Secondly - "car-park" - please tell me this is what you call a parking lot. AGAIN, AMAZING.
    Thirdly, you said crikey and you were making fun or referring to the croc hunter...
    for all these reasons, I love you. and cats. #forevercats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Cakey! Yes!

    Hosing down = pouring down

    Car-park = parking lot

    Crikey = OMG, WTF, etc...yes, just like the Croc Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha oops there's a typo in mine! i meant you said crikey and you WERENT even making fun of the croc hunter.. THAT IS AMAZING. teach me more!!! please do a post entirely in Kiwi speak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say crikey ALL THE TIME, especially when I'm in a situation where I can't say the f-word!

    Ok, I'll do a total kiwi-speak blog for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRILLIANT BLOG!!!!!Although I too, was at the SPCA today, cleaning out cages & litter boxes (hosing them down in the pouring rain :) probably with a different view..I came home with a flea ridden tiny kitten with conjunctivus that had been abandoned...I saw the steady flow of cats being dumped during the day...I worked in the extra add on container with new cats crammed 2 or 3 kittens to a cage, crying out for attention that I was too busy cleaning to give. Although I did love your blog, I worry that you are understating the dire straits they are in...They have more & more cats & kittens dumped every year-to the point they have to special them off to make room. The main way anyone can help is by fostering kittens, or taking a few hours out of your week to physically help the staff out. It is hard work, and heartbreaking, but worth it. Please contact the SPCA to find out when the next training day for volunteers is-even if you can only help for the kitten season...they need ALL the help they can get, and ALL you can give. It ain't easy, but it's rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rowan

    Thanks for your comments.

    Yes, I could see that the staff, volunteers and indeed the facility were stretched to capacity today.

    I'm unable to volunteer at this time, but will continue to promote the SPCA through various channels.

    This blog has already generated quite a bit of interest, and I know of a dozen people who will be donating goods and money to the SPCA in the coming days. Maybe the blog may flush some new volunteers out of the woodwork for you too!

    Cheers
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hay Yvonne, The last part about volunteering wasn't aimed soley at you, sorry :) It was a plea to anyone reading the blog not to be complacent, not to take the easy road. Take the word 'can't' out of your vocabulary & find a way to make a difference. If you CAN do more than drop a can of cat food down a chute, then please do, because, your actions may save a life! Or, at the very least, improve one vastly.

    We can do MORE than we think we can

    Please continue to invaluably promote the SPCA you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete