Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thirty years

Thirty years ago yesterday, my father died in a helicopter accident in the Urewera National Park.  The crash also claimed the life of a young guy who was new to the deer industry.  The pilot survived.  

The pilot went on to crash another chopper about a year later in the same region, in which he again survived, but another of my father's friends was killed.  That took a long time for me to come to terms with.  He has to live with that burden, not me.

I can remember every detail like it happened yesterday. Every. Single. Detail.  I know what I was wearing.  I can remember how I felt.  I remember what other people wore.  I remember what people said to me.  I know what I ate (or didn't/couldn't eat).  I can remember the crunching sound of the icy grass beneath my feet.  Ironically, we had exactly the same sort of fog today as we did 30 years ago today. 

In 1983, Rex Forrester published a wonderful book called "The Chopper Boys".  It is a great read, full of real salt of the earth Kiwi men and stories that make you wonder why that era hasn't yet been turned into a movie. 

The guys in the deer industry in the 60's and 70's were a breed of their own.  They had to deal with extreme weather, very isolated locations and had a massive task on their hands. 

Rex followed up with the sequel "The Helicopter Hunters".  Both books have now been published in one volume.


The Chopper Boys & The Helicopter Hunters by Rex Forrester

"This is the story of the chopper boys, the men whose sweat, skill and heroism provided the foundation for the now-thriving deer-farming industry. Working in dangerous conditions in New Zealand's remote back country, these men risked serious injury, even death, for the adventure of it all - as well as sometimes for serious financial gain " (from the back cover).

It would be a fantastic movie.  Honestly, an utterly incredible film given the stories that Mum and our friends in Te Anau have to tell about the industry in its heyday.  And, the scenery.  Oh my god, the scenery.  Fiordland is simply the most beautiful place on earth.

A Helicopter Line chopper casually parked up in Fiordland

Hmmm.  I'd be keen to co-write with someone.  This is one movie script I wouldn't have the strength to write alone. Any takers?

Finally, they say that "time heals all". Maybe it does.  For me, I'd say that "writing heals all".

RIP Dad.

PS. The anecdote in "The Chopper Boys" about the guy who was using the kitchen light as a navigation tool at night...nah, no idea who that was.

PPS. And, the anecdote in "The Helicopter Hunters" about the guy swinging from the strop conducting an orchestra (and singing Ava Maria)...I have no idea who that was either ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your father, your third paragraph is such an accurate description of how time seems to crystallise a moment of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family probably know yours, come to think of it. My Grandad and his sons (my Dad and uncles) were in on the deer hunting down that way (they were based in Mossburn/Te Anau). It's amazing some of the things they did, the footage they have is incredible.

    I don't think you ever recover from something like that, I think you just learn to live with it. I hope you're living with it okay.

    ReplyDelete